Saturday 19 March 2011

Back to the city

Waiting at the airport earlier today for our return flight to Ulaanbaatar, I watched as a small boy of about five years shared his chocolate bar with another who had just happened to walk over to him. I expressed my surprise at this to Zula who I was waiting with and she explained how it was very normal to do this - children share sweets and food all the time. When she asked whether this was the same for children in the UK I felt a bit bad explaining that I didn't think so - if anything it was the opposite!

There was a bit of a wait before our flight so we all went to get a drink in the little cafe just inside the airport. It's funny how whenever you are abroad and the topic turns to the British royal family, because you are from the UK you turn into the world's foremost commentator on the upcoming royal wedding. As I sat there with Tunga, Zula and the two project staff from Zavkhan, answering a whole interviews worth of questions on Kate and Wills, the Queen, Prince Charles... and of course Diana, I suddenly realised these people think I know what I'm talking about!

Yesterday, there was low-level cloud and it had snowed for most of the day. It was so bad that the Mongolian Minister of Defence had to postpone his planned visit to Zavkhan and only arrived this morning as we were making our way out to the airport. We had to pull off the road as his long convoy raced past into town, a day late. But we had beautiful weather for our flight - just like when arriving so it made for another very scenic flight.

Out of the thirty people on my flight, several in traditional brightly coloured Mongolian dress, I must have been the only one who did not speak Mongolian. But the flight announcements were made in both Mongolian and English - I wonder whether that was for my benefit or is it just standard procedure? As we landed I hoped that the translated announcements were not a word-for-word literal translation because the the air stewardess translated into English, "Please be careful when opening the overhead lockers, the contents will fall out." Just in case, I kept a watchful eye as they were opened!

So tomorrow is Sunday and it's a day off. I was planning to go skiing but the person who was going to take me phoned me yesterday to explain that she was having to fly home urgently. So no Mongolian skiing this time. But after a long lay in bed (at least thats what I'm planning) I'm sure I'll think of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment