Tuesday 15 March 2011

Slightly under dressed

Never have I been more grateful to see a Scotsman in my life.

After arriving out here yesterday I suddenly find myself invited along with about 20 others to a meeting with the EU ambassador for China and Mongolia. The Ambassador was due to meet the Mongolian President and Prime Minister tomorrow and wanted to first speak with a range of people from different organisations involved in development to hear first hand some of the issues affecting development in Mongolia. It was going to be a buffet and then informal discussion around the table. I'd been advised to dress smart but I'd not been expecting to be invited to this sort of meeting so I didn't have a suit or even a tie to wear. I thought I looked pretty presentable in smart trousers, shirt and jumper but had a feeling everyone else would be in a suit and tie - I wasn't wrong!

As I started to mingle and make small-talk as one should at these sort of functions I felt distinctly under-dressed alongside the head of the World Bank in Mongolia and the UN co-ordinator in Mongolia. Everyone was extremely smartly dressed and then there was me.  But then he entered the room, a gentlemen in full Scottish dress - kilt and sporran. I now officially love the Scots - this guy had clearly not read the dress code!

You know that feeling at the back of your mind when you pack to go away and you are sure you've forgotten something but can't quite place a finger on it? Well, hopefully this time it was just the tie!

No comments:

Post a Comment